Water Conservation Stages
In the event the Board of Directors declares the existence of a water shortage and authorizes the implementation of the District’s Water Shortage Emergency Plan, the General Manager shall thereupon be authorized to implement and enforce the following water conservation stages. Enforcement measures include: notices of violation, disincentive surcharges, the installation of flow-restricting devices, or the termination of services.
Water Conservation Stage I – Voluntary Compliance
In the event the General Manager determines to implement Water Conservation Stage I, users of District water shall voluntarily reduce the amount of water used to that amount minimally necessary for household use (drinking, cooking, bathing) and for business necessity. Such reductions will include, but are not limited to, immediately repairing leaks, preventing irrigation water runoff, refraining from washing sidewalks, driveways and parking areas, and refraining from sprinkling unplanted areas for dust control.
In Stage I, new meter installations are limited to 10.
Water Conservation Stage II – Mandatory Compliance
In the event the General Manager determines the implement Water Conservation Stage II, users of District water shall be required to:
- Limit irrigation of outdoor plants and gardens to the period between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. daily, and stop all water runoff; and
- Cease filling or refilling swimming pools, except that a small amount of water may be used to replace evaporation losses in a filled pool; and
- Wash motor vehicles and equipment only from a bucket using a hose with a shutoff nozzle; and
- Make immediate repairs to any and all leaking water lines and faucets in household plumbing and yard piping; and
- Cease irrigating native vegetation and unplanted areas for dust control. In addition, restaurants shall provide drinking water to patrons upon request.
In Stage II, new meter installations are limited to 5. In the event that 10 new meters were approved in Stage I, then no new meters will be approved.
Water Conservation Stage III – Mandatory Emergency Restrictions
In the event the General Manager determines to implement Water Conservation Stage III, the following prohibitions and restrictions shall apply:
- No water shall be used for irrigating outdoor plants, trees or other landscaping of any kind, in any amount, at any time; and
- No water shall be added to swimming pools, hot tubs or spas to replace evaporative losses or for any other purpose; and
- No water shall be taken from fire hydrants for any reason except for fire emergencies or for the maintenance of system water quality; and
- Water for construction purposes shall be minimized; and
- No water shall be used for dust control, or for washing any structure, sidewalk, driveway or parking area, or for washing motor vehicles and equipment except from a bucket using a hose with a shutoff nozzle.
- Water users shall make immediate repairs to any leaking line or faucet in household plumbing or yard piping.
In Stage III, no new meters will be approved.